The project was initiated as part of an 11th Plan scheme in March 2010 as an effort to restructure and consolidate the erstwhile operational (mail) network of the Department of Posts in order to improve the quality of mail services.
• Optimization and consolidation of mail operation network across the country
• Process redesign in mail operations for greater efficiency
• Standardization of processes
• Development of an effective online performance monitoring system based on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
• Entire country covering Speed Post, Registered mail, unregistered mail (parcel would also be brought to the fold after the product and network revamp)
Features of Monitoring System
• Performance monitoring of each hub based on 17 different KPIs (Transit time, scan compliance, delivery office performance, use of PIN code, missorts etc.)
· No human intervention in data extraction and no scope for manipulation of system
• 24x7 Online availability of data with user credentials at all levels
• Enables field units to find out weak elements in the chain and take effective remedial action
• Performance monitoring through video conference every fortnight chaired by Secretary
• Reduced transit time (time from booking to delivery of an article) and improved delivery performance for Speed Post across the country (more than 60% articles get delivered across the country within two days of booking)
• Improved visibility for Speed Post articles on the tracking system of India Post website (www.indiapost.gov.in) (end-to-end status of Speed Post articles is available online for about 89% Speed Post articles)
• Standardized processes at Speed Post operations have led to streamlined operations, better monitoring and enhanced productivity
• Introduction of new tools and equipment in operations have led to better working conditions for the employees
• The online KPI tool has provided an effective mechanism for performance measurement for the management at different levels
• Complaint handling system has become very effective and responsive
• Introduction of online track and trace facility for Registered mail
National E-Governance Award 2012-13 under the category "Outstanding performance in citizen-centric service delivery" by Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievance, Government of India.
*Inputs from the Department of Posts.