This blog is meant for use by members of the Association for news and views. Send comments / suggestions / views to e-mail Id:

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Postal department penalised for loss of iPhone

The Ernakulam Consumer Redressal Forum has ordered Director General of Post, New Delhi to pay a compensation of Rs 30,000 to a Perumbavoor resident after postal officials failed to deliver a package that contained an iPhone. Instead, the packet contained white blank paper sheets.

Ben George had purchased an iPhone 5C, paying Rs 22,990 from Bengaluru, in 2015. He later sent it to his friend in Assam, from Keezhillam post office in Perumbavoor.

As per Ben's complaint, the parcel containing the phone was despatched to NSH Guwahati, from where it was sent to a post office in Assam Sachivalaya. But Ben's friend could not collect the parcel as he was not keeping well.

The parcel was sent back to NSH Guwahati, which in turn returned the parcel to Intra Circle Hub in Shillong that dealt with speed posts. However, it did not reach the sender.

Ben lodged a complaint with the post office, but to no avail. After two months, Aluva postal superintendent sent a notice to Ben saying the parcel did not contain the address of the sender and hence the officials could not return it. Also, Ben was informed that the parcel was found opened at ICH Shillong.

Later Ben received the package, but to his shock, it had a different cover and had white papers inside it. Though he approached the postal department again, there was no response, forcing him to approach the consumer forum.

But the postal officials defended at the forum that Ben dispatched the parcel without insuring it and they were not liable to compensate the loss of article.

"Postal officials admitted to the lapse on their part. As per the Evidence Act, admitted facts need not be proved. Since the mobile was lost in the office of the postal department, the director general who is the supreme authority is liable to compensate the consumer," ruled forum president Cherian K Kuriakose said.

The department can realise the compensated amount from its erring official.

Source:-The Times of India 

No comments: